Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Serendipity:

'the state of discovery, by accident, of things not sought; the discovery of something by accident while investigating something quite different; a fortunate occurrence created by unanticipated luck'

This is the wikipedia definition - the best one I could find. The one that speaks to me most is the final sentence: a fortunate occurence created by unanticipated luck. I have experienced many instances of this in my life, especially in relation to my art. I am someone who believes that when you are following your 'calling' or passion so to speak, that the universe opens itself up in mysterious ways to help you on your course. In order to be receptive to this though, you have to know what it is that you want. Like the saying goes, you have to help yourself in order to receive help. As a sort of experiment in this, I wrote a list in my journal a few days back of a few of my 'creative dreams'. The reason for this is that writing it down brings a sort of clarity, or purpose, which leaves you open to serendipity, which aids in manifestation. (For more on this, I highly recommend anything written by Julia Cameron, an amazing writer on the subject of creativity). My list went like this (in absolutely no order of importance!):

  1. to write and illustrate a children's book - or maybe collaborate on the writing with a great storyteller.
  2. to attend university again to study art history.
  3. to teach art and the importance and role of creativity in the world.
  4. to become a certified yoga instuctor.
  5. to have an art studio overlooking the beach.

Would you believe that this week I met a very interesting woman who also happens to be a writer? And that just yesterday I received an email from a friend who I haven't been in touch with for awhile asking me to teach her how to use the pottery wheel?

So, in response to all this, all I can say is 'Merci'.

1 comment:

siobhan said...

I have loved the word "serendipity" for years and years. My mum was born on an island that Arab traders named Serendib, the root of our word serendipity. I spent a year there when I was 18 and can confirm that serendipity describes Sri Lanka perfectly. Happy surprises everywhere!
Good Luck with this blog Rachel. I hope it helps to inspire and motivate you.