Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Down time.

Studio work has come to a stall...not so much because I want it to, but because I've run out of supplies, though I have been enjoying the much needed break. After a few days from hell (excuse me) I decided that I needed to give myself a little something. With my schedule the way it's been lately, I probably only get time to shower twice a week or so - gross, you say? Maybe, but who am I kidding? Anyway, today I made a body scrub. And now I feel like a million bucks.

Here's the recipe I used. I just sort of made it up as I went and it was fantastic.

3/4 cup brown sugar, blend in some oil (I used sweet almond oil with a small amount of jojoba oil - so good for the skin. You can use anything really, even vegetable oil. I would suggest to avoid mineral oils though - so NOT good for your skin). Blend well until you have a nice, slushy consistency. I added 1 tsp. of a chocolate fragrance oil with a little vanilla essential oil just because I had it on hand (what can I say? I'm stocked better than most craft stores). You can use any essential oil you might have. Maybe 8-10 drops?
I put this on and well, scrubbed, before I got into the shower. I had never made a sugar scrub before and really liked it alot better than those salt scrubs you can buy. For one thing, it didn't sting (if you have any small cuts or scrapes), and the texture was much gentler. And once I got in the shower to rinse it off, my skin felt so smooth and the oil was so moisturizing that my skin didn't even feel tight and dry afterwards, which it usually does. You definately have to use this before getting in the shower though, because I tried using more in the shower (just because I wanted to use it again!) but the heat sort of melted the sugar and it wasn't as effective.

Now I'm soft and smooth and smell like a cookie. Mmmmm.

1 comment:

ngawai.herewini@gmail.com said...

Hi Rachel
Your bath scrub sounds so wonderful, it sounds like just the ticket after weeks and perhaps ever longer of neglect through not taking time out. We do tend to go and forget to take a break. After reading i already feel somewhat better already, mind you, your writings have a tendency of making me feel like smiling and making me feel good anyway. Thanks.