Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I have a toothache.

"Unmade art is like a toothache. It's always there distracting you. You're always focused on that darn tooth. If you are writing a novel, the novel is always with you, always posing the question "what next?" Ditto for a sculpture or a painting in process. That brainchild wants your attention!

Unmade art will always pain and distract you - yes, even when you're supposed to be listening to your child's homework or focusing on world peace. Don't get me wrong or understand me too quickly. Children matter. They deserve to be really listened to, and we cannot do that if our unmade art is still competing for our attention. World peace matters, but you may not be able to do anything contructive about it today, while you
can
make art - and, in my opinion, if we put a little more energy into creation, we might put a little less into destruction.

Maybe all you can do about world peace today is make some art and improve your own goddamn mood. What do you think?"

-Julia Cameron, 'Letters to a Young Artist'

I think I need to get over it already and go buy those supplies I've been thinking about for weeks. I need to get back into the studio to fill the few orders I've got pending then I need to get a start on my paintings (they all exist in my head!) for my show in July. I need to get things moving again. NOW!

No comments: