Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A day in the life...

Trimming, stamping and finishing bowls was on the schedule today. This is my process...

First, I center the unfinished bowl on the wheel (upside down) and secure it with wads of clay:


Then, using various trimming tools, I start to shape the foot of the bowl:


Almost there...


There, that looks just about right.


Then, using my hand-carved lino stamp, I decorate the exterior of the bowl:
(this is my least favorite part - it can be pretty hard on the hands and fingers, plus it also makes the rim of the bowl all wonky, which then needs to be fixed)


One more quick press with my signature stamp then I finish up by writing my name on the bottom, and DONE!


Now, for the others...


(generally I make things in sets of 8 - or more - at a time. I would consider getting through about 20 pieces to be a productive day in the studio).

This is only one step of many. Lots of labour, love, and careful attention to detail go into each and every one of my pots. I truly believe that handmade products carry within them the spirit of their maker and when you hold a piece of pottery in your hands - something that has been shaped by the hands of another - you will be able to sense an imbued presence and that ultimately, a connection is forged. I think the connection at this soul-level is what [good] art is all about.

My pots make me happy, and they will make you happy too. I promise.

No comments: