Thursday, April 30, 2009

Potential?

Since starting this blog (and my other family-oriented one focusing mainly on my two beautiful little girls), I have received numerous compliments on my writing. This pleases me to no end. It excites me because along with the million other things I hope to do in my lifetime, I have a secret desire to write. I think I have a children's book or two in me (so I could do illustrations as well), as well as a novel. Hazel Richardson, my writer friend - you can google her - said something I found to be really interesting once. She said her stories play out like movies in her head and the work comes in trying to capture it as it's happening. Though I found it intriguing to think about having little movies play themselves out in front of me, I don't think my process would be like that. I imagine mine to be more auto-biographical, only not - if that makes any sense. An expression of thought, emotion, and feeling...something that would, on one hand, be inherently personal; but on the other hand, would be true to everyone, as we are all the same when we take off the social masks that we wear and leave behind the identities given to us by others. It would be about finding a connection. After all, isn't that what art is all about?

1 comment:

ngawai.herewini@gmail.com said...

Hi Rachel
I absolutely enjoy your writings as i had mentioned in previous comments so i look forward to the childrens book,in fact i look forward to any of your writings in the future. All the very best.